Behaviour of system tray bandwidth indicator

Rex Dieter rdieter at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 21 13:19:48 UTC 2014

On 03/21/2014 08:03 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> But, yeah, who looks at these indicators anyway.

If you want to belabor the point... UI progress indicators do one
primary task: indicate progress.  that's it.  And, as I at least
implied, it does not have to be accurate, but the act of the UI giving
progress feedback is important.

This is why I reacted in this thread to the suggestion of removing it.

Secondarily, giving an estimate for completion is an added bonus.  We
can agree that the estimates given can be wildly inaccurate for a
variety of use-cases, but I still argue it can be useful for many.

In conclusion, my take is that improving accuracy (and removing
inaccuracy) should be the constructive focus and way forward.  Anyone
willing to look at the code to improve it?

-- rex