Why Firefox is not a good choice of browser for a KDE/Plasma-based product

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 26 13:27:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 01:49:13PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> * Firefox also has some "features" that are worrisome for Fedora as a whole:
>   - The anti-malware and anti-phishing protection (enabled by default!)
>     sends a hash of every URL you visit to Google (yes, Google!).

As I understand it, this actually only sends hashes to Google when the first
32 bits of the hash match a list that is *pulled* to your system. And when
there is a match, only those 32 bits are sent and the list of full 256-bit
hashes with that prefix is returned.

It's still worrisome from a privacy perspective, but not quite as scary as
it would be to actually send a hash of every URL or to send full hashes.