Why Firefox is not a good choice of browser for a KDE/Plasma-based product

Markus Slopianka kamikazow at gmx.de
Wed Mar 26 22:57:16 UTC 2014

Um, is there a reason why QupZilla <http://www.qupzilla.com/> was not included
or is this just an oversight?
QupZilla is a Qt-based web browser that currently is better maintained than
Konqueror and Rekonq together. Konqueror's UI is very cluttered, whereas
Rekonq's UI is not conforming to KDE standards, eg. no menu bar (not even
optional), tabs on top (IIRC not configurable), etc.).

As far as I'm aware, Plasma Active has it's own web browser, so no synergy
effects between it and the Plasma Active browser are to be expected.

QupZilla OTOH visually fits quite nicely into the rest of KDE applications and
it has KWallet support. It also has good extension support, including support
for user scripts.
I think in general QupZilla also finds the balance of configurability and ease
of use that KDE people expect, whereas Konqueror and Rekonq are on opposite
ends of that spectrum.

A port to the Chromium-based QtWebEngine of Qt 5 is also already under way.
The latest version is packaged in Rawhide. In case you use F19 or F20 and want
to easily check it out, I've packaged it under
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/KAMiKAZOW:/Fedora/

Before I switched to Fedora for hardware compatibility reasons, I was
conducting my own research on that matter to propose a Qt-based web browser
to openSUSE.
I think I went in with an open mind.
Disclaimer: I contributed German translations to all three projects but I do
not consider myself an active contributor to either.

Markus