Why Firefox is not a good choice of browser for a KDE/Plasma-based product

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Mar 27 13:49:24 UTC 2014

Markus Slopianka wrote:
> I am not aware of any plans by KDE upstream for their KDEWebKit wrapper to
> migrate.

As far as I can tell, it is not even possible to support the same features
(KIO integration in particular) on top of the current QtWebEngine. It does
not use QNetworkAccessManager as QtWebKit did. Support for the main
protocols (like HTTP) is hardcoded inside the Chromium code. Adding
protocols is possible at the QtWebEngine level, it does that for qrc:, but
(as far as I can see) for no other protocols, nor does it (currently) expose
an API for QtWebEngine users to add THEIR protocol handlers. (And I think
the Chromium API requires you to first get a list of all the protocols you
can handle so you can install handlers for them, which is doable for KIO,
but far from ideal.)

IMHO, QtWebEngine is a step backwards all over the place (compared to
QtWebKit). :-( Nested bundling (bundled Chromium which bundles the world),
much more limited platform (CPU) support, less powerful API (because
Chromium doesn't expose as much as WebKit did, which limits what QtWebEngine
can offer), no GStreamer support, no QNetworkAccessManager/KIO support, …

        Kevin Kofler