Why Firefox is not a good choice of browser for a KDE/Plasma-based product

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 29 03:02:47 UTC 2014

On 03/28/14 19:47, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> g wrote:
>> first off, this thread reminds me of a song that came out at the
>> turn of the 70's. "War". it had a kick-ass beat, it is a protest
>> song, but i still like it. so did every one in a disco club where
>> i was manager and head bartender.
>>
>> in war, there is the line, "War. what is it good for?".
>>
>> in a similar context, "Firefox. what is it good for?".
>
> I get the impression that you completely missed the point of that
> 70's  song…

oh?

was it not a protest of the Vietnam "police action", aka, war?

at least the one to which i reference, by Edwin Starr, appeared
as such to me.

[also, above, i should have used word _start_ instead of _turn_.]

>> i would hate to think that i had to go out on web and not have
>> 'NoScript' and 'AdBlocker' available. just to mention a couple
>> of the add-ons that i use.
>
> Konqueror has both ad blocking and per-site JavaScript blocking
 > built in. (Rekonq has ad blocking, but unfortunately no per-site
 > JavaScript blocking, only a global setting.)

i happen to have 18 active 'extensions', with 3 more disabled until
i need them. plus 8 active 'plugins'.

i dare say that konqueror or rekonq will/would/might come close.

yet, in reality, my point, which one missed, is that when it comes
to web browsers and email clients, it is like baskin-robbins, there
are many choices to make and that choice should be left to user.
not packages that are loaded by default when a new installation is
made.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.