Why Firefox is not a good choice of browser for a KDE/Plasma-based product

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Mar 29 22:49:07 UTC 2014

Am 29.03.2014 23:34, schrieb g:
> On 03/29/14 15:45, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Rex Dieter wrote:

>>> Thanks, but I think it's a given that we need to install one web
>>> browser by default, and that the question is which one.  Not
>>> installing any (or some how providing a choice) is not an option
>>> we are considering.
>
> is linux not all about _choice_. ;-)

you have the choice all the time to install whatever browser
you want or even any available at the same time

>> On the other hand, we *could* move the webbrowser outside of
>> treating it as part of the desktop environment, and more as an
>> (essential) addon application.
>
> that could be a better way. and, "even mo betta" if it where set up
> to give user/installer a _choice_ as to which browser

and i want to have some additional choices in the installer:

* what texteditor
* what video player
* what audio player
* what image viewer

no, i don't want that really
i only want to point out where that leads

why should a browser be handeled special and whatever justification
you would use what do you do if the same is taken for any sort of
software and who will maintain that?