Update Disables Desktop Effects

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Sat May 3 21:30:19 UTC 2014

Err. With the priority nvidia drivers supplied by rpmfusion, desktop effects
work just fine with the new kernel. At least on 2 of 3 machines were the
upgrade has been performed. I will be updating the 3rd machine sometime
tomorrow (probably).

And for those who were engaged in the very very old and heated debate...

SORRY :D

Just joking. Yah all knows I loves you guys :)

Eli

On Friday 02 May 2014 23:12:09 Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Fri, 02 May 2014 12:49:47 -0600
>
> Peter Gueckel <pgueckel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I updated to kde-workspace-4.11.9-4.fc20.1.kde413.x86_64 this
> > morning, turned the computer off/on and logged in. Kwin crashed
> > immediately. I logged out and got only a black screen and therewith,
> > vt1 was hung. I logged in to vt2 and killed gdm, then back to vt1 and
> > logged in again. I noticed that the active edges no longer worked and
> > then saw that all of the desktop effects are disabled. I tried to
> > enae and was told that there are 20 effects that have errors and the
> > desktop effects cannot be enabled.
> >
> > Prior to this morning's updates, everything was fine.
>
> I had exactly the same thing happen to me on two different machines
> (F20, KDE, KDM, 64bit, but different graphics --- Intel vs. nVidia).
>
> It's the kernel.
>
> If you boot into 3.13.10-200, everything works. If you boot into the
> latest, 3.14.2-200, desktop effects are dead and kwin works only in 2D
> regime.
>
> I don't know what is wrong, why it happens or who is the culprit, but
> it appears to be kernel-related.
>
> I'll keep booting into 3.13 until this gets sorted out... ;-)
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

believed to be clean.