Update Disables Desktop Effects

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sun May 4 00:49:39 UTC 2014

On Sun, 04 May 2014 06:19:42 +0800
Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> On 05/04/14 05:30, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> > Err. With the priority nvidia drivers supplied by rpmfusion,
> > desktop effects work just fine with the new kernel. At least on 2
> > of 3 machines were the upgrade has been performed. I will be
> > updating the 3rd machine sometime tomorrow (probably).
>
> I also run the nVidia drivers from rpmfusion and confirm that the
> effects are running just fine.  :-)

I don't think this is related to graphics drivers. As I said, I have the
same reproducible problem on one machine with nVidia drivers (from
rpmfusion), and on another machine with Intel graphics.

There is *something* on these machines which interacts badly with the
latest kernel, and crashes kwin's desktop effects as a consequence. On
the other hand, that same piece of software interacts ok with the older
kernel, and everything works.

I am not saying that the kernel is the culprit, but it is obviously
somehow related to the problem at hand. If it works for you, we probably
need to dig deeper...

Best, :-)
Marko