Update Disables Desktop Effects

bitlord bitlord0xff at gmail.com
Sun May 4 06:04:06 UTC 2014

On Sat, 03 May 2014 23:21:50 -0600
Peter Gueckel <pgueckel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Eli Wapniarski wrote:
>
> > I have another
> > laptop that produces kernel warnings all of these problems seem to
> > be related it older intel chipsets.
>
> Interesting. I have never reported it, but my laptop (older Intel
> chipset) has been giving me errors. The message says something like
> "kernel crashed: the problem is a hardware error and there is no need
> to file a bug reportĀ°. However, the laptop works just fine and I
> don't believe there is anything wrong with it.
>
> I haven't updated it for about a week, so I am not running the new
> 3.14.2 kernel on it, so I don't presently know whether the problem
> still persists.
>
> Now I'm curious and will update.

Interesting, about older intel chipsets and graphics (I have few GM45
machines), I had some issues when kernel randomly reportes multiple
warnings, but system still works fine. Maybe it is related,
message/trace starts with this line
[   45.126000] localhost.localdomain kernel: ------------[ cut here
]------------ [   45.126038] localhost.localdomain kernel: WARNING:
CPU: 1 PID: 1235 at drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_irq.c:1239
i965_irq_handler+0x5a2/0x6b0 [i915]() [   45.126039]
localhost.localdomain kernel: Received HPD interrupt although disabled
(I don't want to post whole output, probably not needed) and when it
happens it show multiple errors related to i915.

And this is fixed in
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-intel/commit/?id=3ff04a160a891e56cdcee5c198d4c764d1c8c78b