x2go under KDE on F22

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 2 17:32:01 UTC 2015

On 25/03/15 17:27, Roderick Johnstone wrote:
> On 25/03/15 15:54, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Roderick Johnstone wrote:
>>> x2go is documented to be incompatible with 'KDE 5'
>>> (http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:de-compat) but I notice that there
>>> are still seem to be (at least) parts of KDE 4 in F22.
>>
>> Hmmm, is GLX needed even when using llvmpipe? If not, exporting
>> LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE or QT_XCB_FORCE_SOFTWARE_OPENGL should work
>> around the
>> problem.
>>
>> There are also some general Qt 5 compatibility issues reported, but those
>> seem fixed now according to:
>> http://bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=637#33
>>
>> Another workaround would be to try LXQt instead (assuming the Qt 5 issues
>> are really solved now, see above). KDE applications should run fine under
>> LXQt, or any other desktop (e.g. Xfce) even.
>>
>>          Kevin Kofler
>
> Kevin
>
> Thanks! I was wondering if there might be some work around by setting
> some environment variables.
>
> I'll give it a try when I finally get my F22 alpha test system installed.
>
> Roderick

I finally got around to trying KDE with x2go on F22 using:

export QT_XCB_FORCE_SOFTWARE_OPENGL=1

I can log in ok now, but its a bit slow, although my testing machine is
rather old.

Can someone advise the 'right' place to put the export line please.

x2goagent sits there consuming between 50-100% cpu all the time. I'm not
sure that that is expected and might be the cause of the slowness. Not
sure how to diagnose this.

I found I needed to remove package kscreen to prevent the x2go window
being resized automatically.

So, when I log in I get a single konsole window. The panel comes up
momentarily but then appears to die.

How do I restart the panel from a terminal and where would I check for
errors?

Also, resizing the x2go window makes konsole disappear. Its still
running though and the x2go window eventually goes black.

Did anyone else try this yet? Anyone have any insight as to whats happening.

Thanks

Roderick