System wide configuration directories

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Apr 13 11:55:09 UTC 2015

Roderick Johnstone wrote:

> Under kde 4 I used to be able to drop various rc files files into
> /etc/kde to provide systemwide customization of the desktop.
>
> Did this change for Plasma Workspaces 5? If so, what is the current
> recommended directory?
>
>  From an earlier post I was recommended to add a script to:
> /etc/xdg/plasma-workspace/env
> to update the KDE environment.
>
> Previously I was using the directory:
> /etc/kde/env
> for this sort of thing.
>
> I guessing that maybe the desktop and kde5 apps look in the former and
> kde4 apps look in the latter location. Is that right?
>
> Is there some documentation on these configuration directories as used
> in F22 somewhere that I can look at?

kf5/plasma5 uses $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS, per
http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS defines the preference-ordered set of base directories to
search for configuration files in addition to the $XDG_CONFIG_HOME base
directory.
If $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS is either not set or empty, a value equal to /etc/xdg
should be used.
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME defines the base directory relative to which user specific
configuration files should be stored. If $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is either not set
or empty, a default equal to $HOME/.config should be used.

So, in short, use /etc/xdg instead now.

Keep in mind, kde4 applications continue to work as before (and uses
/etc/kde/)