Plasma 5 - Where have all the screensavers gone

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Tue Apr 14 20:43:31 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 14 April 2015 22:28:57 Lukáš Tinkl wrote:
> Dne 14.4.2015 v 21:12 Glenn Holmer napsal(a):
> >>
> >> They would be screen lockers, and probably waiting for people to rewrite
> >> them using the new infrastructure. See here (all comments) for some
> >> background: https://plus.google.com/+SasaRakezic/posts/bcyNtUwHZBq
> >> https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=124413
> >
> > That's just lame. Because screensavers don't fulfill a useful function,
> > they should be consigned to an ignominious death? Let's do the same with
> > all music, art, and literature! Nothing frivolous shall remain! We must
> > all be serious, very serious!
>
> There's a good reason why they're gone mainly because... well they
> aren't really saving anything. Back in the days when everybody had TFT
> monitors, screensavers would actually prevent the physical damage from
> literally burning a still image into the monitor's matrix. These days
> with the LCD displays, they are doing exactly the opposite - keep the PC
> awake and in turn preventing it from entering a "sleep" state,
> effectively wasting your power and battery.

The powersaving feature on any modern windowing environment can set a time for
the screen to go blank regardless if there is a screensaver on or not.

And what they save is what little bit of sanity I have left. lol

Believe me when I say that I am not inviting an argument. Nor am I trolling. I
am just blowing a little steam... One of the things that I find very
frustrating under Linux is that most software begins its "gold" phase with
half the features missing.

While the screensaver is not the most important feature on the computer, it
does provide some amusement on what would be otherwise an intense, highly
focused (to the point of obsessive compulsive) work day. It provides a small
brief moment of fun. Like I said... it may not save my screen. But it sure
helps preserve my sanity.

believed to be clean.