F22 Live KDE on a VM

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Tue Apr 21 12:08:52 UTC 2015

On 04/21/15 19:57, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I've installed the Beta 3 version of F22 KDE Live in a VirtualBox VM.
> This was a clean install, i.e. get a fresh VM, boot the Live CD image,
> then install to disk by clicking on the button. My host machine is F21
> has plenty of horsepower and an NVidia graphics card under the
> proprietary driver. I also installed the VBox Guest Additions and ran
> "dnf update" in the guest.

A bit confused on the series of events...

1.  Booted Live media.
2.  Installed to disk using default file system layout(?)
3.  Booted the installed system
4.  Ran "dnf update"
5.  Installed the additional packages needed to compile the VBox Guest Additions.
6.  Rebooted

And then.....the unusable DE as noted below?
> After logging in, the resulting Plasma DE is unusable. Panel menus pop
> up but windows don't appear on the desktop; in fact nothing appears
> there except the root background.
>
> Other Fedora installations (F21 Workstation) work correctly in the same
> setup.

So far, I've only done a "netinstall" of KDE B3.  And, there is also the choice of running the non-debug kernel.  I run that since it is faster.

Ed