Removing disable idle system screenlock as default behaviour for Plasma 5

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 22:44:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-04-23 at 00:36 +0200, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> >> I would rather keep it as it. Especially for laptops. Does your
> phone locks
> >> automatically or not? It's the same IMHO.
> >
> > Your phone turns off the screen to save battery, and may optionally
> lock
> > for security against theft (though I don't know of any that do this
> by
> > default). A desktop is a completely different use case.
>
> Security is an important reason for locking phones; pattern-based lock
> is
> quite widespread, and I think that encrypted phones are going to be
> more and
> more common (with obvious need for a locker).

None of which is relevant to Linux desktops, as I was trying to point
out.

> A laptop is not a different use case (security).

A laptop may or may not be different, depending on context. Lots of
people just leave them in one (secure) place all the time, and when they
want to keep prying eyes away they shut the lid. That is when a lock
should be applied, not just because of some timeout. Remember we're
talking about the default case.

> A desktop, maybe (in company yes, at home it depends :)

In a company maybe, at home maybe.

poc