Removing disable idle system screenlock as default behaviour for Plasma 5

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Thu Apr 23 05:54:47 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-22 16:44, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> phone locks
>>>
>>> Your phone turns off the screen to save battery, and may optionally
>> lock
>>> for security against theft (though I don't know of any that do this
>> by
>>> default). A desktop is a completely different use case.
>>
>> Security is an important reason for locking phones; pattern-based lock
>> is
>> quite widespread, and I think that encrypted phones are going to be
>> more and
>> more common (with obvious need for a locker).
>
> None of which is relevant to Linux desktops, as I was trying to point
> out.
>
>> A laptop is not a different use case (security).
>
> A laptop may or may not be different, depending on context. Lots of
> people just leave them in one (secure) place all the time, and when they
> want to keep prying eyes away they shut the lid. That is when a lock
> should be applied, not just because of some timeout. Remember we're
> talking about the default case.
>
>> A desktop, maybe (in company yes, at home it depends :)
>
> In a company maybe, at home maybe.
>
> poc

So the option to disable this feature is easy to do.

To me, laptops are not desktops and need to be treated the same as part
of this thread states, like phones.  In our house, two of three laptops
are used mainly outside the house.  One is used almost exclusively
inside but still is configured for secure usage.  Screen lock is used as
well as power saving features.

The desktop uses the present screensaver and power saving to blank the
screen for night time light saving.  To make the room darker.  If the
power saving doesn't blank the screen, it throws a large amount of light
into a very dark room.

As all the machines in our house can possibly be used by any person with
their own accounts, screen locking can prevent one of the others from
doing something to your work.  Also, little kids can be destructive
without knowing what they are doing.  In one case, our son opened over
200 Firefox windows on one laptop.

I vote for the default to be locked.  I feel that the ratio of unlocked
over locked is very low.  In our house, three laptops and two desktops,
all with screensavers/locks working.

Robin