Removing disable idle system screenlock as default behaviour for Plasma 5

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Apr 23 13:05:15 UTC 2015

Am 23.04.2015 um 14:59 schrieb Luigi Toscano:
> On Thursday 23 of April 2015 14:53:50 Reindl Harald wrote:
>>>
>>> I think that there is an more global advantage with the current settings.
>>>
>>> Compare:
>>> - annoyed *once* and locker disabled forever
>>> vs
>>> - device by default with no locker and potential untracked access
>>
>> close the lid of a notebook -> locked
>
> Sure, you can lock manually. The point is that the default behavior helps more
> when you forget closing it.
>>
>>> Is also the login password an aggressive default?
>>
>> laughable comparison
>
> It's not. The perception of what it's needed/secure changes in time.
> No windows desktop had login 15 years ago. Now it's definitely different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT released in July 1993 are 22
years and besides that it *is* because you can't prevent somebody from
shoot in his foot

if someone has his notebook on a desk in a cafe and goes to the toilet
without close the lid or lock it manually he has lost the game entirely
because even a minute is too long and so lock after 5 or 10 minutes
don#t really improve security

>> there are worlds between power on a foreign machine and need to
>> authenticate then force the user to move the mouse all the time to
>> prevent screen locking - have fun watching a video with that stupid
>
> Wrong example: video player knows how to make activity and not activate the
> locker. You can watch your movie

does a "tail -f" of the maillog on our company server know it too?
does htop know it too?
does rdesktop watching a remote session know it too?