Removing disable idle system screenlock as default behaviour for Plasma 5

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 16:01:32 UTC 2015

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 12:55:02 +0000
Rex Dieter <rdieter at unl.edu> wrote:

> First off, thanks for the discussion.  However, one thing I've
> learned when dealing with setting defaults is this:  best practice is
> to never use yourself as anecdotal evidence. :)
>
> Now, instead of disabling screenlock timeouts altogether, perhaps we
> could find a compromise...

In my experience with discussions about defaults, reaching consensus
regarding the best default is more an exception than a rule. The
screen locking case seems a prototype example of this, and I doubt
that any proposal will satisfy everyone.

My suggestion, instead, is to provide functionality to enable/disable
screen locking in as trivial way as possible --- say, right-click the
desktop -> choose "disable screen locking". Just like what we already
have with, say, widget locking.

In that case, if anyone is too annoyed with the default to complain
about it on a mailing list, while at the same time too lazy to make two
trivial clicks, it's a PEBCAK problem, not sanity of the default.

That said, my general mantra for defaults is "secure everything and
lock it down, let user reconfigure at their own responsibility". Like
firewalls, passwordless logins, etc. But that is just my opinion, and
as an experienced user I don't really care too much about the default
choice, as long as it can be reconfigured to my particular usecase
easily enough.

Best, :-)
Marko