Removing disable idle system screenlock as default behaviour for Plasma 5

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 11:37:08 UTC 2015

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 11:42:10 +0100
Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the detailed answer. I'm mainly interested in Youtube
> videos, most of which are quite long courseware sessions on my
> desktop. I hesitate to turn off screen blanking entirely but I guess
> it's something I'll have to get used to.

Well, if you really want to have it under control, you can create a
toolbar button/icon/launcher/whatever that will turn dpms on/off as you
wish. Of course it would be better if the browser were intelligent
enough to do it for you automatically, but I'm not sure it can be
configured to do so.

As for longer online videos --- when I need to watch YouTube material
that is, say, 1 hour long (a lecture or some such), I typically use
youtube-dl to download the thing locally, and then play it in mplayer.
For my usecase, this is much more convenient, because:

* UI is more comfortable than html could ever provide (seek, pause,
  window size and fullscreen, loop, timestamps, brightness,
  contrast, ...);
* the video is usually worth keeping for watching more than once later
  on;
* no need to keep a bunch of YouTube tabs open in firefox (it gets
  bloated really fast), or maintaining bookmarks or such;
* the video can be watched offline (while in the train or an airplane);
* there is no risk that the owner may delete the video from their
  YouTube account and make it unavailable.

Otherwise, when a friend sends me a YouTube video with the latest
2-minute joke or something, I just watch it once in the browser and then
forget about it... ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko