Inhibiting blanking/locking while video is running (was Re: Removing disable idle system screenlock as default behaviour for Plasma 5)

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 15:31:30 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-04-27 at 07:35 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> >> - and if you do, the fix is not to disable auto-lockscreen, the fix is
> >> to fix the broken software that does not set inhibition
> >> correctly.
> >
> > IMHO inhibition should be automatically set any time a video is playing,
> > no matter what the specific player is. How would you suggest we do that?
>
> File bugs against the video player that has not yet implemented inhibition.
> In this case, adobe/flash-plugin (or not, adobe has been aware of this issue
> for years)

So Adobe has been aware for years but hasn't fixed it. What exactly do
you think would be achieved by filing (another) bug report? And the same
for every other app that displays video.

As I tried to say, my take on this is that the problem should be dealt
with at another level. Blanking/locking the screen is a desktop policy
issue. It should not be left to the individual apps to decide whether to
implement something reasonable or not. I would ask for a *global* switch
(we can argue about what the default should be) that allows the user to
inhibit blanking/locking while a video is running. It may be that the
condition "video is running in some window" is not easy to detect
reliably, and maybe that's why it hasn't been done for X Window
environments, but we can dream.

poc