New default web browser on KDE Spin

Mustafa Muhammad mustafa1024m at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 05:58:50 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 11:10 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
wrote:

> Mustafa Muhammad wrote:
> > I mean the net result is, when a user first boots Fedora Workstation,
> > it works with YouTube (because they use Firefox), boot Fedora KDE, and
> > you can't, you have to install rpmfusion repos, then install the
> > required codec.
>
> The H.264 codec is NOT required. VP8 is installed out of the box. If
> KWebKitPart/QtWebKit is claiming H.264 is supported even when the codec is
> not actually present (is that the issue? What does
> https://www.youtube.com/html5 list as supported for you?), and then
> failing
> to decode it, that's simply a bug in KWebKitPart/QtWebKit that needs to be
> fixed. Replacing the browser is the wrong fix.

This is not the main reason, I listed the reasons several times:
1) Almost dead upstream for Konq, vs thriving upstream for Firefox
2) Slower Konq (maybe qtwebkit to blame)
3) Not supporting the latest standards.
4) The video codecs issue, even if this bug get fixed, no foreseeable VP9
decoding in Konq, VP9 is about 60% the size of VP8 at the same quality and
is supported in Firefox ans MSE is being worked on.

We can provide a better user experience for Fedora KDE users, but you
refuse to make it happen because you hate Mozilla and want to support
upstream KDE.
Shipping inferior browser is hurting Fedora KDE, and hurting upstream KDE
in general.

Mustafa Muhammad