New default web browser on KDE Spin

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Sat Aug 1 17:36:28 UTC 2015

Gerald B. Cox ha scritto:

> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
> <mailto:luigi.toscano at tiscali.it>> wrote:
>
>     As long as people continue spreading this information, it will continue to
>     exist. KDE is not a Desktop Environment, full stop, whatever you like or
>     think.
>

> I think the point was that many people just don't care... their eyes simply
> glaze over
> when you get into the minutiae of it all.  In any event, it's really amusing
> if you do
> a Google search, the first hit says:
>
> "KDE is a powerful graphical desktop environment for Unix workstations."
>
> Here is a screenshot for your amusement:  https://goo.gl/photos/smu2Zem1So2pD9669
> So if you're concerned about misinformation, someone needs to work on that.

Yes, Google Search. That string is only available from those pages:
https://www.kde.org/announcements/beta2announce.php
https://www.kde.org/announcements/beta3announce.php
https://www.kde.org/announcements/beta4announce.php

You can check it yourself by checking out the source of the www website and
running grep there:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/www/sites/www/

Maybe it's possible to force Google to change this information, I will ping
KDE sysadmins.
If you check any other page around on kde.org you will find the correct
definition (the one I mentioned before).

>     Interesting to notice that one side you don't care about what upstream says
>     about Plasma and KDE, and on the other side you want to exactly follow what
>     upstream ships in some of the many products. Konqueror is not part of of the
>     releases of the desktop anyway.
>

> The thread was about changing default applications.  To change a default, you need
> a compelling reason.

It depends on the set of default. There is no default browser for Plasma.

>     My point is: even upstream does not really want to push for a browser or
>     another right now. There is a (maybe just prototype) of new browser
>     investigated, but really really an experiment. No one in KDE community will
>     complain if the default browser of a "KDE-based distribution" is not
>     Konqueror.
>

> I haven't seen anything that implies that Konqueror isn't the designated
> browser for KDE;
> just the opposite - there is a dearth of information on the web that implies
> otherwise.

It's a browser shipped with KDE Applications. Can you find anywhere that it's
the default browser for Plasma?

> However,
> if upstream wants to clarify that, I would think they would just put out a
> notice here:
> https://www.kde.org/applications/internet/konqueror/
>
> In any event, I still believe if one has an issue with the performance or
> capabilities of a particular
> application, the place to discuss that is with upstream.

A browser is unfortunately a really important component of the system nowadays
and even talking with upstream won't magically make it appears, even if I
really would like it.

Ciao
--
Luigi