New default web browser on KDE Spin

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Sat Aug 1 18:32:42 UTC 2015

Gerald B. Cox ha scritto:

> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
> <mailto:luigi.toscano at tiscali.it>> wrote:
>
>     Maybe it's possible to force Google to change this information, I will ping
>     KDE sysadmins.
>     If you check any other page around on kde.org <http://kde.org> you will
>     find the correct
>     definition (the one I mentioned before).
>
> My point was simply there is still quite a bit of information out there, and
> if the KDE
> team is sensitive to KDE being referred to as a Desktop Environment, they need
> to realize
> it's going to take a massive PR push to change that mindset.  Most people
> could care less.

Any and each dot/kdenews article, any release announcement in the last >5
years clearly states this. You use as a counterexample an automatic generated
tagline from google, which is not a source. Which other massive PR action do
you want to do, apart from stating again and again this as it was done in the
last years?

>     It depends on the set of default. There is no default browser for Plasma.
>
>     It's a browser shipped with KDE Applications. Can you find anywhere that it's
>     the default browser for Plasma?
>
> Again, that is a bit pedantic.  Anyone who has used KDE or whatever it's name
> du jour associate Konqueror with KDE.

Anyone who comes from Windows used to associate Internet with a blue E. Many
Kubuntu users (which are not so few in the world of Linux-based distributions)
had rekonq as default browser for a long time.

>     A browser is unfortunately a really important component of the system nowadays
>     and even talking with upstream won't magically make it appears, even if I
>     really would like it.
>

> Agreed, and it would be nice if upstream would share it's roadmap concerning
> that.  Again,
> I haven't read anything that says Konqueror is going away; to the contrary it
> is described as a
> key application.
There is no maintainer right now:
https://blogs.kde.org/2014/08/16/konqueror-looking-maintainer

Konqueror (kdelibs4-based) is released as part of KDE Applications. No
Frameworks versions are planned until someone complete the port (the same as
any other application ported to Frameworks).
The Plasma team has not stated anything about the default browser or the
browser with good integration with Plasma 5, which even the current Konqueror
is not (as it is not ported yet).

> If KDE (or again whatever it's called) wants to get out of
> the browser business, that's fine;
> but it needs to be stated and not on some mailing list.  Put it on the webpage
> for Konqueror.
This is not about going out of browser business.

> That all said, I get the point about KDE Plasma Workspaces and KDE Applications;
> for the purposes of this thread however, it's a distinction without a difference.

I disagree; if you want the best desktop, so Plasma, experience, the current
kdelibs4 Konqueror is not so different from Firefox or rekonq.

Ciao
--
Luigi