Default browser in Fedora KDE Plasma

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 19:05:21 UTC 2015

On 7 August 2015 at 14:43, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Mustafa Muhammad wrote:
>> Some of my points were:
>>
>> 1) Almost dead upstream for Konq, vs thriving upstream for Firefox, Konq
>> may have undiscovered security vulnerabilities, but the limited number of
>> users is hiding them.
>
> The limited number of users also means nobody will be targeting Konqueror
> with attacks. IMHO, this is actually an advantage.

That is literally security through obscurity. I know people have
tossed that label around inappropriately in the recent past, but
relying on an implementation's obscurity to defend it is the actual
meaning.

> And I think this is absolutely the wrong time to switch our browser
> considering that:
> 1. we are already in F23 Alpha freeze (so it is IMHO too late for F23) and
> 2. the QtWebEngine situation appears to be improving (see my proposal mail),
>    so we should have a Qt/KDE replacement for Konqueror soon, no need for a
>    non-KDE one.

Firefox is already in the distribution and being tested for alpha. The
QtWebEngine replacement for Konqueror will not be for the same reason.

> What I see is that we have one very vocal user (you) repeatedly beating the
> same dead horse. You were already in the thread months ago and you brought
> it up AGAIN.
>
> A non-KDE browser will NEVER be an option for a KDE spin no matter how often
> you ask for it.

To be perfectly honest, I use KDE, but not the KDE spin, so I don't
care what's chosen as the default there. But I don't think Konqueror
gives new users the best experience.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk