Default browser in Fedora KDE Plasma

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Aug 9 02:14:28 UTC 2015

Mustafa Muhammad wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Kevin Kofler
>> The limited number of users also means nobody will be targeting Konqueror
>> with attacks. IMHO, this is actually an advantage.
>
> Really?

Yes. Guess why the vast majority of viruses targets Window$.

> Fine is not fast, we have a faster and better alternative.

It is fast enough. And the faster alternative is not better, it does not
integrate into the desktop.

> So we wait (at least) another 9 months before Fedora KDE spin users get a
> better browser?

See above, "better" is in the eye of the beholder.

And as it stands now, QtWebKit is sufficient for basically the whole web.
Sure, this may change over time because the Qt Project is sadly not
interested in keeping it up to date with the constantly moving target
today's web has unfortunately become (because they switched to working on
QtWebEngine now), but right now, QtWebKit works. So I don't see the rush to
replace it for F23.

> Bandwidth? Full HD? Most of the the content I see in VP8 on YouTube are
> only 360p, maybe this is a policy, I don't know, but in VP9 it is up to
> 4K.

Whatever… Of course, H.264 is also possible with the appropriate GStreamer
codecs, if you need that. MSE support (and thus VP9 support on YouTube) will
be there in the future replacement for Konqueror. (QtWebEngine already
supports it.) And Firefox does not support MSE yet either, so either way,
F23 users will likely not have it.

> Then only add it to the live image, it only needs the word "firefox" in
> the kickstart file.

Even a kickstart change is a change. The freezes are not enforced by anybody
for the kickstarts, but we are urged to use caution and respect freezes when
editing spin kickstarts. Anything else would be an abuse of our spin-
kickstarts commit privileges.

> "NEVER"? In the meeting I thought the opposite, only you refused the
> proposal because you hate Firefox, the other 6 members preferred another
> option to Konqueror, I am not beating a dead horse, I am looking for the
> benefit of Fedora KDE users, and only YOU are preventing any effort to
> replace Konqueror or add another option.

And only YOU keep reopening this flamewar again and again. Everyone in the
SIG is sick of the discussion. (See how dvratil voted against the proposal
because he has enough of it.)

> If you don't want to change the default browser, at least add Firefox.
> We already ship 3 file managers (Dolphin, Konqueror, and Krusader), why a
> good browser should not be added?

Because it requires 100 MiB (just by itself, even if all the dependencies
are already dragged in by other GNOME/GTK+ garbage we're shipping), is not a
KDE application, and duplicates Konqueror's functionality.

For the file managers: Konqueror is a web browser that just happens to
support embedding the DolphinPart. (Its file manager is just the
DolphinPart, it has been that way since KDE 4.0.) We ship it as a web
browser. People are free to use it as a file manager, but that's not our
default setup. As for Krusader, we can remove that if everyone hates it so
much, but it was added on my request because 1. it is small (~4 MiB, so 25
times smaller than Firefox!) and 2. it serves a different user base than
Dolphin: Dolphin is for beginners, Krusader is for power users. They have
vastly different interfaces. Dolphin can be made to look similar to Krusader
(2-pane layout with list views), but the UI is not and cannot be as
optimized for 2-pane operation as Krusader's.

        Kevin Kofler