Pros / Cons: Replacing Konqueror with Firefox

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Aug 9 12:31:26 UTC 2015

Mustafa Muhammad wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2015 4:55 PM, "Sindre Wetjen"
> <sindre.w at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is another way to look at that. We will have the least popular
>> rendering engine (except KHTML, but I don't consider it relevant since
>> QtWebKit is the default in konq).
>
> And this is a bad thing.

Read the context, you just wrote that shipping Firefox would be a bad thing.
Thanks! :-p

>> On Friday 07 August 2015 15:03:41 Mustafa Muhammad wrote:
>> > 3) Familiar experience for first time users, Firefox tries to look
>> > similar on all platforms.
>>
>> Why is this an issue? Browsers are a location bar and tabs. They all look
>> the same.
>
> It is not a big issue, this is what I am trying to say.

Well, a browser is actually more than a location bar and tabs. A browser
also has a toolbar with icons, it has file dialogs for downloads, it has
preferences, etc. And for those, looking and feeling like the other
applications on the desktop environment is more important than looking and
feeling like Firefox on another operating system.

The location bar and the tabs indeed behave similarly in all browsers, so
indeed, as Sindre wrote, familiarity should not be an issue. Thus there is
no advantage for Firefox there. And that said, the tabs also have a visual
style, which should match the desktop environment, and Konqueror's location
bar supports those nice "web shortcuts" (e.g. "gg:") that make the search
bar redundant (without unsafe guesswork such as sending all typoed or
temporarily down URLs to Google, ewww!) and allow power users to disable it.
So even there, Konqueror wins.

        Kevin Kofler