Default browser in Fedora KDE Plasma

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Aug 9 12:33:12 UTC 2015

Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> If it is decided to set precedent by introducing non-KDE, non-Qt based
> applications - we should consider renaming the spin.  It's no longer KDE,
> it's something else.

+1!

Are you (or anybody else on this list) interested in joining Kannolo
development? Currently I have a F21 kickstart that, last I checked, produced
a working installable (Calamares for the win!) F21 KDE without GTK+. (I may
have to update my non-AppStream PackageKit rebuild if they have updated
PackageKit since and if the AppStream support still drags in GTK+ through
its gdk_pixbuf use.)

http://svn.calcforge.org/viewvc/kannolo/trunk/kickstart/
https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/kkofler/kannolo/

My goal now is to update the thing to F23 (I'm planning to skip F22, not
worth starting to work on that one now), where hopefully Python 2 can go
away (Python 3 only), I hope I can get the spin down to CD size then.

The one thing that is still missing is VPN support on the spin. That
requires splitting the NetworkManager VPN plugins into GUI (GTK+) and non-
GUI parts. Plasma NM has its own GUI parts, but needs the non-GUI parts.

I'd also like a custom Calamares module that allows installing additional
KDE software that is not on the spin for size reasons (full Calligra,
Amarok, Kile, etc.). It should not just offer the whole repository, but a
hand-selected list of recommended packages with short descriptions and with
no GTK+ dependencies. (I do NOT want to offer Firefox there. Only KDE
software omitted for size reasons.) It will be fairly simple to write, but
it has to be written in C++ because it'll be a GUI module. (Python modules
can only be batch modules in Calamares.) But I plan to eventually write this
myself, once I have the more pressing issues (such as VPN support) sorted
out.

        Kevin Kofler