Default browser in Fedora KDE Plasma

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Aug 9 14:06:31 UTC 2015

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> What do you have against Firefox, as a matter of interest?
> Is it a purely theological objection?

The look&feel is completely off, and they keep introducing crappy UI
"improvements" that one needs to disable in complicated ways (e.g. the
idiotic decision to hide "http://" by default, which can only be fixed
through "about:config"). It's just painful to use.

It also needs extensions for some basic things that Konqueror does out of
the box (e.g. ad blocking, disabling JavaScript for specific sites, faking
the user agent, etc.).

And it can only store passwords in its own storage or in gnome-keyring,
which I am not running and do not want to run (also because of GNOME's
idiotic decision to ban passwordless wallets). Konqueror uses my KWallet.

> I've been using konqueror for a couple of days,
> just to see what people are talking about.
> It seems to me perfectly usable, slightly awkward,
> but that is probably just due to my lack of use.

Right.

> But for me, Firefox offers the important facility
> to access RSS feeds.

That's what Akregator is for.

> I don't see the touted similarity between konqueror and other KDE apps.
> What exactly is the overlap or similarity between konqueror and KMail?
> Or konqueror and KNode? (The two KDE apps I use most.)

Same icon theme, same widget style, same menu style (menu bar), same file
dialogs (compare downloading a file in the browser (in Firefox, with the
idiotic "save everything to one directory without asking" misfeature
disabled) vs. saving an attachment in the mail client: you should get the
exact same Save As dialog), same password store, etc.

        Kevin Kofler