Pros / Cons: Replacing Konqueror with Firefox

Sindre Wetjen sindre.w at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 20:36:09 UTC 2015

On Sunday 09 August 2015 10:34:48 Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Mustafa Muhammad <mustafa1024m at gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > OK, I didn't know this.
> >
> > But QtWebKit is not on par with upstream WebKit, not even close, not when
> > Chromium used WebKit, and not now.

Its hard to find any real data on this. If you have any, please share. Granted
WebKit is lagging behind and Safari (the only major browser using it) is being
called the new IE6, but it is still an active and popular rendering engine.

> > Chromium is a very good choice, it also integrates well with kwallet, but
> > it is not in Fedora.
>
> .... (cut)
>
> That said however, I'm not suggesting it replace Konqueror as the default.
> If people want it, or
> Chrome for that matter, it's a trivial matter to install.

Actually, that makes much more sense. (to be clear, Chromium not Chrome)
- It has better support for a lot of things.
- It is targeted by more developers which means that less things will go wrong
- It integrates better with KDE.
- Google has not yet decided to enforce any central control on it.
- It is possible to get "new" flash.
- The UI is familiar and can be synced with existing accounts for a larger
part of the population.

And if what Kevin said about the development of Blink is true, then there is
still a hope we can get it in Fedora.

Off course this is all in the future, but I think it underlines the unnecessary
change to Firefox because it is not a good choice either for non-power users.