proposal: switch default browser on plasma spin to firefox

Dan Mossor danofsatx at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 16:56:54 UTC 2015

On 08/06/2015 10:20 AM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Based on our prior kde-sig meeting, we'd tentatively agreed to pursue
> considering using a default browser different than konqueror.
>
> I'm proposing we consider using firefox by default instead.
>
> Secondary proposal: keep konqueror installed as a secondary browser (and
> file manager, etc).  It's runtime footprint is only ~6mb.
>
> I asked some Plasma workgroup member(1) members for votes on irc, and those
> without documented votes yet include:
> Martin Bříza (mbriza): no vote
> Kevin Kofler (Kevin_Kofler): no vote
> Than Ngo (than): no vote
> Lukáš Tinkl (ltinkl): no vote
> Dan Vrátil (dvratil): no vote
>
> This message is a call for formal +1/-1 vote from these folks.
>
> Please limit this mailing list thread to votes only, and start new thread(s)
> if you wish to continue discussing the the pros/cons on the topic.  Thanks.
>

> -- Rex

I missed today's meeting due to $dayjob duties, but I wanted to take a
moment to note that after careful, deep consideration, I feel this is
the wrong way to go.

Granted, installing an alternative browser is one of the first things
most folks do after discovering that the only thing available is
Konquerer, but that is a conscious choice by the user - a choice that
they may not realize then pollutes their beautiful Qt based desktop with
GTk cruft.

The correct avenue here, in light of the news from the upstream
products, is to keep the status quo regardless of the lack of usability.
When we finally get a fully-featured Qt based browser, that is when we
switch. We DO NOT switch to a GTk based browser that has zero
integration with the Plasma desktop - single click selection of files
and directories within Firefox doesn't even work, let alone the theming
and other issues. Ironically, those two items, as well as integration
with kWallet, work fine with Google Chrome (which is not a choice in
this discussion).

--
Dan Mossor, RHCSA
Systems Engineer