Desktop freeze on NFS share failure

Emmett Culley lst_manage at webengineer.com
Sat Aug 15 22:16:48 UTC 2015

Why does the desktop freeze whenever an NFS share fails?  I have set all NFS mounts to soft,intr and yet, if I forget to unmount a share before taking down the NFS server, my desktop freezes.

Luckily I have Yakauke running, so I can at least get to a console.  But of course the NFS mount cannot be umounted if it doesn't respond.

Also I assumed the setting shares to intr, soft would prevent other software from hanging if the share stops responding.  Is that not so?  Or is there another setting I am not aware of?

Any ideas how to prevent this from happening?

Emmett