Desktop freeze on NFS share failure

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 22:50:00 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-08-15 at 15:16 -0700, Emmett Culley wrote:
> Why does the desktop freeze whenever an NFS share fails?  I have set
> all NFS mounts to soft,intr and yet, if I forget to unmount a share
> before taking down the NFS server, my desktop freezes.

Maybe for the same reason my local NFS-mounted NAS starts up any time I
open Dolphin, even when I'm just looking at a local directory.
Something in KDE wants all possible filesystems available before it
allows you to look at anything, or at least it seems that way. I've
never bothered trying to pin it down.

poc