Desktop freeze on NFS share failure

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 18 08:37:02 UTC 2015

On 15/08/15 23:16, Emmett Culley wrote:
> Why does the desktop freeze whenever an NFS share fails?  I have set all NFS mounts to soft,intr and yet, if I forget to unmount a share before taking down the NFS server, my desktop freezes.
>
> Luckily I have Yakauke running, so I can at least get to a console.  But of course the NFS mount cannot be umounted if it doesn't respond.
>
> Also I assumed the setting shares to intr, soft would prevent other software from hanging if the share stops responding.  Is that not so?  Or is there another setting I am not aware of?
>
> Any ideas how to prevent this from happening?
>
> Emmett

Emmette

I asked a similar question on 11 July in this list, to which there was
no real answer.

The issue has been in KDE for many years (although I don't know if its
had the same cause all along). If you google you'll find lots of people
asking about this.

We have quite a lot of cross-mounted disks so I always have to be
careful when rebooting an nfs server particularly as systemd often seems
to find some reason to wait 3 mins in the shutdown phase while a stop
job is running.

Roderick