Desktop freeze on NFS share failure

Piotr Gbyliczek piotr.gbyliczek at reconnix.com
Tue Aug 18 14:35:40 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 18 August 2015 06:42:11 Emmett Culley wrote:

> This is becoming a pretty serious issue for us.  We have more that 15 local
> servers (both hardware and VM's) many of which are development machines.
> Which means they are often rebooted or otherwise taken off-line.
>
> When that happens to a machine that someone has mounted an NFS share from,
> those with that mount get locked up.

Just my 2 penny worth, but...

I understand that this is annoying and would be good to have a solution on the
system/KDE level, so NFS mounts are not locking system when they disappear.

It however rings in my head as to why in earth one would put an NFS service on
a servers that are development / rebootable .... Logically, I would look at
creating a single NFS server, and making your local machines to use that for
any file sharing purposes..