Enable/disable touchpad

Adam Batkin adam at batkin.net
Wed Aug 19 21:11:43 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Eric Griffith <egriffith92 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You have to use libinput at the moment for Wayland, gnome and KDE are both
> transitioning to libinput. As far as configurability goes: its not meant to
> be as configurable. Synaptics exposed every possible control knob, despite
> the fact that some of them were completely untested / known to be broken.
> AFAIK, libinput is going the route of "Sane defaults, expose what we know
> works and what we actually support changing." Instead of "Change ALL THE
> THINGS!"
>
> Yes there's still some teething problems but those are being worked out.
> Libinput's maintainer has been pretty good, I think anyway, about bug
> reports and communicating reasons / thought processes on his blog.

Is there a danger in exposing all of the parameters like
xorg-x11-drv-synaptics? Who says that your "sane defaults" will work
for me? There are so many different hardware combinations (and
developers may not have access to many of them) that it will be
impossible to set them all up properly (i.e. we can all file bugs, but
most will likely never be fixed, and even if they are, we are left
with unusable systems in the interim).

I'd wager that a good number of people on this (KDE) list are here
because the Gnome folks thought that their "sane defaults" would work
for everyone (hint: they don't). I'm tired of having to
explain/justify why some hard-coded default doesn't work for me and
should be configurable, only to have each one of my points (my
*opinions*) being dismissed by others.

-Adam Batkin