Desktop freeze on NFS share failure

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Thu Aug 20 11:51:06 UTC 2015

On 08/16/15 06:50, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-08-15 at 15:16 -0700, Emmett Culley wrote:
>> Why does the desktop freeze whenever an NFS share fails?  I have set
>> all NFS mounts to soft,intr and yet, if I forget to unmount a share
>> before taking down the NFS server, my desktop freezes.
> Maybe for the same reason my local NFS-mounted NAS starts up any time I
> open Dolphin, even when I'm just looking at a local directory.
> Something in KDE wants all possible filesystems available before it
> allows you to look at anything, or at least it seems that way. I've
> never bothered trying to pin it down.

I am not seeing any desktop "freeze".  I see that dolphin will get "stuck" when I open it up since 2 NFS mounts are at my $HOME location.  Also, ls will freeze up.

I didn't uninstall, but I did tell "tracker" not to index anything.  I'm sure someone finds "tracker" useful.  :-)

--
It seems most people that say they are "done talking about it" never really are until given the last word.