Dolphin using huge amounts of memory

Lester M. Petrie Jr. petrielmjr at ornl.gov
Fri Aug 21 15:38:23 UTC 2015

I have been using Krusader because I have been unable to get Dolphin to access
some directories that are NFS mounted, while Krusader quite happily traverses
them. But this morning I decided to try Dolphin again, as I like some of its
interface better.  I would be accessing files from Dolphin, when it would just
disappear.  This happened a couple of times, and I was ready to give up, but
decided to look at the journal to see if there was anything there giving a
clue as to what was wrong.  I found the kernel was killing Dolphin with an OOM
event.  Dolphin was using ~16Gig of memory both times it was killed.  What
could it possibly be doing that takes that much memory?  Is there some
configuration that can reduce the memory required?

--
Lester M Petrie
RNSD/ORNL
petrielmjr at ornl.gov