criterion update: add "switch user" to Shutdown, reboot, logout

Dan Mossor danofsatx at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 14:43:01 UTC 2015

On 02/02/2015 09:48 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> Testing it is fine of course, but I don't really think we should block
>> on this. Also worth considering: user switching has never worked 100%
>> reliably, so increased qa focus may just uncover old heisenbugs, and
>> turn them into blocking issues.
>
> Maybe for GNOME it hasn't. For KDE, using KDM or SDDM, user switching has
> always just worked. Nowadays, it should just work with GDM too, but of
> course it can be subject to bugs and undocumented behavior changes in GDM
> (which wouldn't be a first).
>
> IMHO, adding user switching to the blocker criteria is a good idea. Bugs in
> user switching can easily lead to data loss, either directly (e.g., if user
> switching crashes the machine) or indirectly (e.g., if, due to user
> switching not working, somebody just logs the other account off without
> caring about running processes, or even hits the power or reset button if
> the session is locked).
>
>          Kevin Kofler

+1 - Agreed, or whatever. Since switching to KDE, I've not had _any_
issues with user switching in KDM or SDDM. You are correct in stating
that it doesn't work in GNOME. This is one of the reasons I use KDE
(among many other) - my family shares a computer, and we switch users
all day; this feature was one thing we used heavily on Windows and was a
requirement before I introduced Fedora to them.

With all that said, I feel adding user switching to the blocker criteria
is a logical step - this is 2015. It has worked on Windows since Windows
Vista, circa 2003. I use it at home, and I use it at work as an
administrator to fix problems for my users without needing to log them out.

Just because it doesn't work on GNOME isn't a valid reason not to test
it and block on it if it is a feature that is used and depended on.

--
Dan Mossor, RHCSA
Systems Engineer at Large