Plasma 5: first impressions

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Fri Jan 30 13:29:11 UTC 2015

On Friday, January 30, 2015 01:17:01 PM Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I just installed Plasma 5 from the COPR repo. A fairly easy process (had
> to remove a few packages but no big deal). A couple of issues at first
> glance:
>
> 1) My carefully-tuned KDE settings are all gone, e.g. Dolphin, Konsole,
> virtual desktops, lockscreen behaviour etc. Can these be recovered
> easily (I have backups)? Why does this happen anyway, especially to apps
> which are independent of Plasma?

Dolphin and Konsole should still use their KDE 4 configuration, the only
change being the looks (i.e. using the Breeze widget theme instead of Oxygen).

Plasma 5 configuration (and all KDE Frameworks 5-based applications
configuration for that matter) are now stored in ~/.config. ~/.kde is no
longer used, so you can recover everything from there.

> 2) Speaking of virtual desktops, I can no longer see how to configure
> how they look in the panel. In the old system I had each one labelled
> with a name, but that no longer appears except when I hover the cursor,
> which slows down switching.

Right-click the pager applet in the panel, select "Configure Desktops" to name
your desktops, then right-click the applet again and select "Configure Pager",
and select the "Desktop name" Display option there. That will show the names
you set.

> Plasma is shiny and fast, so I'm generally positive so far, but these
> details are going to annoy a lot of people.

The partially (or not at all) migrated settings is indeed annoying. However
upstream has realized they neglected this and will work towards improving this
in next updates. This will obviously not affect people who already upgraded,
but will make the initial experience better for users who update from KDE 4 to
Plasma 5.3 (or 5.4, who knows how long it will take them ;-).

Cheers,
Dan