KDE session pauses

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 1 09:02:43 UTC 2015

On 30/06/15 22:24, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/30/15 23:30, Roderick Johnstone wrote:
>> Since this morning, me and my users have been seeing pauses in our KDE sessions on F22.
>>
>> Symptoms are that typing in a terminal stops for a second or two every few minutes (at irregular intervals). Sometimes the pause is longer than other times. You can still move the windows around.
>>
>> Active pings to other hosts also pause but eventually write the expected output as if nothing had happened - normal ping times, no lost pings.
>>
>> I've done a lot of tests and think I've eliminated network hangups to the nis server and home disk hang ups (home disk are local but looked up over NIS).
>>
>> Everything works as normal in an XFCE session, its KDE thats affected.
>>
>> It seems that konsole and emacs i/o thats paused. Probably other termianls/editors would pause too but I haven't tried them. BBC news channel also goes buffering for a moment, but with the spinning symbol.
>>
>> There were no obvious KDE updates last night, just a handful of other packages.
>>
>> Anyone else seeing this kind of behaviour?
>
> Sadly, yes.  And no idea how to track it down.
>
> Just right now I was unable to type into this message for a short period.  I'd hit a key and it would take a couple of seconds for the character to appear.  Now it it fine.
>
> Also, sometimes I'll switch to a different tab in Chrome and nothing will happen.  I'll stare at the screen, nothing.  Then, I switch to a different virtual desktop and notice that in the systray the Chrome entry has changed names to the title of the tab I was switching to.  Go back to Chrome and everything is back to normal.
>
> Very annoying and no idea how to diagnose the issue.

Ed

Thats really good news, in a sense!

Of course, I would rather there was no problem, but knowing that I'm not
on my own with this is helpful.

I'll change my focus from checking network infrastructure and servers
and concentrate on some of the ideas that Marko suggested.

The symptoms you describe are exactly what I'm seeing. When did they
start for you?

Thanks

Roderick