newbie questions

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Sun Jul 5 05:08:55 UTC 2015

On Saturday 04 July 2015 17:49:36 Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
>
> wrote:
> > Unless you posess the ability to travel through time, your comments are
> >
> >> totally useless.
> >> F21 is still supported if you prefer Plasma 4
> >
> > for how long - 4/5 months? *laughable*
> >
> > KDE upstream should have learned from the KDE4 fuckup which took *years*
> > to get useable again and not break user setups again and again while
> > wonder
> > for decades why the majority of users out there donät siwtch to a Linux
> > desktop
> >
> > a good upgrade is completly *invisible* for existing users independet how
> > large are the changes on lower levels - that said from a developer who
> > satisfies his users by *not* change their expirience permenently
>
> Well, you have an excellent point... but anytime you upgrade something,
> someone is going to be unhappy.  Could they have done better, probably...
> I think some of the issues
> come from the fact that they simply didn't have large numbers of people
> testing the code.  Now problems which were previously unknown are being
> discovered.  Some (like the plasmashell lockup) still haven't been
> resolved.  Hopefully, that will be done soon.  In the meantime, I'm trying
> to be patient and do my part by testing and filling out bug reports.

Part of the problem here is not that there was nobody to test the code. The
problem is that code that the average user is expecting to test is not there.
The developers were even clear to tell us that the code was not there. Other
things are obvious like no port of KDEPIM to the new framework so no Akonadi
system settings, etc. This kinda thing has nothing to do with testing or bug
reports. I would be happy to provide bug reports if KDE 5 had "bugs" that I
could discover but I'm not using it because well for me currently it is
generally not useable.

Eli

believed to be clean.