NFS stuck mounts and frozen panel - faq?

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 14 08:00:38 UTC 2015

On 12/07/2015 01:54, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/12/15 00:24, Roderick Johnstone wrote:
>> I'm sure this must be a faq somewhere because google finds so much discussion of it over many years, but with no obvious solution.
>>
>> When an nfs mount stops being available unexpectedly, under some circumstances, the panel will freeze.
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is a way to stop the panel freezes happening or which component of KDE is causing it?
>
> I have a Synology NAS that gets rebooted when doing updates making the mounts unavailable.  Things like doing an ls or applications accessing files on the mounts will "hang" waiting...but I haven't seen a panel hang.  Granted, I've only rebooted the NAS twice in the past month.  Also, the home directories are not on the NAS.  How about in your case?

Ed

I tend to notice this mostly at upgrade (= reinstall) time as our
systems each host storage which is sometimes cross-mounted on other
systems. During a re-install systems that have the filesystems of the
reinstalling system mounted typically show the frozen panel issue.
People often notice this because the clock applet stops.

However, this also happens if one of our systems goes down for some
reason when someone has its disk mounted. This seems to be worse since
moving to sddm since it seems to cause a whole pile of home disks to be
mounted much more than kdm.

Roderick