F22 KDE Systray Issue

Eric Griffith egriffith92 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 16:03:44 UTC 2015

The robustness principle was fine for xembed. This isn't xembed. Xembed
could -not- exist going forward, it wouldn't even -usable- on future
systems considering the icons for xembed are hardcoded to be 22x22 pixels.
22x22 pixels looks like trash on my 1080p monitor, I don't want to think
about what it would look like on a 4K monitor in the future. Better to just
rip the bandaid off now when 4K is still gaining traction so that by the
time it comes around we are hiDPI ready across the board. For KDE
specifically trying to do an Xembed systray on a Wayland desktop via
XWayland is, by Martin Graesslin's own words, "not the most trivial task."

I get that annoyance and inconvenience of your app breaking on Gnome 3 and
KDE 4 systems, I have a few that broke too. But I was also there 4  years
ago when Ubuntu and Gnome said "We're bin'ing Xembed at some point in the
future. Move to Status Notifiers or AppIndicators or be left behind.
Pidgin, Audacious, DavMail, etc all had plenty of warning it was coming.