New default web browser on KDE Spin

bitlord bitlord0xff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 19:25:07 UTC 2015

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 15:08:07 -0400
Eric Griffith <egriffith92 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply BitLord.
>
> I guess now I'm wondering what the goal of the KDE spin is then. Does
> the KDE SIG want to provide what upstream gives, or what they think
> is best for user experience with a KDE flair? If it's the former then
> why do we ship a non default KDE theme? Because that definitely isn't
> "what upstream provides." Upstream provides Breeze-- full stop.
I guess it is mostly what upstream gives, but sometimes it is not
possible to do it. Not sure what is wrong with the theme, some theme
names (desktop/plasma theme ...) are named fedora*<release>, but they
are mostly upstream theme/s with some minor changes to enable fedora
branding or artwork/wallpaper (mostly minimal changes), also I guess
"we" have specific sddm theme which is with "fedora branding".

> If we want to provide best user experience with a KDE flair then
> swapping some applications around should be an easy yes/no vote,
> since we as a spin are already violating the "what upstream provides"
> idea.
Yes, it is possible to vote for/against some features/defaults, it is
mostly done within KDESIG (by its members), on meetings ..., but for the
browser I'm not sure is there any alternative which integrates well
with KDE, and doesn't break the current experience. I like konqueror, I
like some of its features, but I also admit it isn't perfect, and for
"some" websites I also use alternatives, mostly firefox.

> Hell not even Suse or Kubuntu, who are far more KDE centric than us,
> ship with KDE fully stock. They voted for best user experience, even
> if that means some "KDE apps", like Konqueror, get binned.
I understand, but it is very easy to install second web browser, and
keep "~default" KDE experience with KDE spin. (what is currently
provided by fedora KDE spin)

As I said before, there are other people also interested in changing
default web browsers in Fedora-KDE, I don't see an alternative (good
one), but I do understand them, because I also use other browser for
some things konqueror doesn't work properly.