New default web browser on KDE Spin

Mustafa Muhammad mustafaa.alhamdaani at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 06:38:57 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 2:05 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Mustafa Muhammad wrote:
>> P.S. I tried opening Youtube in Konqueror and the video did not play,
>> how do you use Youtube? Flash?
>
> Which did you try? KHTML or KWebKitPart? We install KWebKitPart by default
> on the KDE spin, and it sets itself as the preferred engine. And YouTube
> just works with KWebKitPart for me. Flash is not installed at all here. I
> explicitly opted in to YouTube HTML 5, you may have to do that too, though
> it should be the default these days. YouTube indeed does not work in KHTML
> (anymore – it did work at some point in the past), but KWebKitPart is the
> default we ship.

With both of them it does not work here (tried F22 and Rawhide),
unless you installed h264 decoder, it should not work, YouTube service
HTML5 videos as VP9, VP8, or mp4, you can see by right clicking the
video then click "Stats For Nerds", can you please tell us what is
working for you.

I think Konq does not support any free video codec (VP9 or VP8),
Firefox supports BOTH (but now YouTube only runs VP8 on Firefox
because Google wants 'Media Sources Extensions' available to run VP9,
and MSE support in Firefox is still experimental)