kdewallet password under Fedora-21/22

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jul 30 23:45:35 UTC 2015

bitlord wrote:
> I'm not sure will this help, but 'sddm' (login/display manger) supports
> unlocking kwallet password on login (I guess password for wallet need
> to be the same as for user login), so if you use 'sddm' this should
> work, and it most likely won't work on auto-login setups (impossible?).
> SDDM is default login/display manager on >=f21, before that it was KDM.
> All of this involves PAM as I understand it.

Both SDDM and KDM use PAM for this purpose. Both should work with
pam_kwallet. BUT, we do not have pam_kwallet for KWallet 5 packaged yet.
Upstream ported it only very recently. (It is reportedly in the
kwalletmanager5 git repository.) So no matter what display manager you use,
unlocking the new KWallet does not work yet.

> I have this working on a few systems, but I also saw people reporting
> that if they have gnome-keyring and kwallet configured (I guess for
> PAM, login ... (not sure how this works)) that it breaks kwallet
> support or something like that, both cannot work properly at the same
> time, not sure why or if this was fixed because I never used both at
> the time.

pam_gnome-keyring is a different issue. That one just does not work with
SDDM for some reason (some conflict over signal handlers, as far as I know).
That issue is still not fixed, and so pam_gnome-keyring is disabled in SDDM.
(KDM is not affected by this one.)

        Kevin Kofler