F22 KDE Systray Issue

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jul 30 23:53:44 UTC 2015

Eric Griffith wrote:
> Reindl, I bash on a lot of design decision from the KDE and GNOME camps
> alike, but this wasn't one of them. Xembed had to go, it was a design
> nightmare. As far as who's fault it is.. I really gotta go with the apps
> on this one. They had four -years- of warning that the "traditional"
> xembed way of sys tray icons was going away eventually. If they couldnt
> find time to port over to Status Notifiers / App Indicators by then that
> that's their problem / or the project is dead anyway.

IMHO, the application is technically the wrong piece of software to blame,
though in the end it will be their effort to port to libappindicator. I
blame mainly the toolkit, i.e., GTK+. It is perfectly possible for the
toolkit to implement drop-in support for the new protocol requiring NO
application changes. Qt did it. (And kdelibs 4 has supported the new
protocol out of the box from day 1.) GTK+ refused to do it.

Now, there is also the refusal by several application developers to support
libappindicator, and the refusal by several Fedora package maintainers to
enable libappindicator support where upstream optionally supports it or
where patches are available (from Ubuntu or elsewhere). All together, it is
a major fiasco, caused by GNOME developers' boycott of non-GNOME desktop
environments.

        Kevin Kofler