Restricting mime types handled by kpartsplugin for firefox

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 10 16:39:16 UTC 2015

On 05/06/15 20:19, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Roderick Johnstone wrote:
>
>> On 02/06/15 18:53, Roderick Johnstone wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Anyone know how to easily restrict the mime types that the firefox
>>> plugin part of kpartsplugin handles? I need to configure this system
>>> wide for all users.
>>>
>>> I'd just want to use it for embedding pdf documents in firefox using
>>> okular, but it seems to want to handle loads of other mime types too.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Roderick Johnstone
>>
>> Well, I have this working, except...
>>
>> I found in the discussion at
>> https://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=125066&forumpage=2 that
>> you can have a file ~/.kde/share/config/kpartsplugin-mimetypes.rc where
>> you can blacklist mime types. So, I listed all the  mime types that
>> firefox was using kpartsplugin to handle and blacklisted them all except
>> application/pdf.
>>
>> That works, and hopefully I can find the equivalent place for that file
>> so that these settings can be picked up systemwide.
>
> If putting that file under ~/.kde/share/config/ works, then putting it under
> global /usr/share/config/ should work systemwide.
>
> -- Rex

Thanks for the info Rex.

For the record kpartsplugin does a:
  KSharedConfigPtr userConfig =
KSharedConfig::openConfig(KStandardDirs::locateLocal("config",
configFilename), KConfig::SimpleConfig);

I think the KConfig::SimpleConfig means that it only loads the file from
the one place rather than the hierarchy of KDE config directories.

Of course, I could change that if the more serious issue of the runaway
cpu in plugin-container was fixed.

Roderick