Plan for F22 KDE updates after F23 release?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Oct 4 11:02:21 UTC 2015

Am 04.10.2015 um 12:49 schrieb Patrick Boutilier:
> On 10/04/2015 07:44 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 04.10.2015 um 12:35 schrieb Patrick Boutilier:
>>> On 10/04/2015 05:52 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> Then Fedora is probably not the distribution for you. Most people would
>>> use something like CentOS in this case
>>
>> that must be the reason for https://getfedora.org/de_CH/server/ i
>> guess...
>>
>> most people need something like CentOS because they host random crap
>> like PHP applications breaking with new versions
>>
>> the downside is when you host your own developments you stick with
>> outdated software for years and *then* you can't upgrade your system
>> because the difference between CentOS releases is way too big for a
>> online update
>>
>> after 12 *online* dist-upgrades over 7 years taking around 2-5 minutes
>> per virtual server and we talk here about any service you can imagine i
>> can assure you Fedora was always suitable for hosting and given that
>> when somebody tals about "install from scratch" he still lives in the
>> windows world
>
> Perhaps. But if I were to use Fedora as a server then I wouldn't be
> using a desktop GUI at all so the changes to KDE and even Gnome would
> not be an issue.

boah who talks about a GUI on a production server?
they are stripped down to 750-900 MB sysfs

but that don't change the fact that anything which is used in production
is as identically as possible configured on my development machines
which for sure have a GUI and serve a lot of other things for the
internal network (in fact at home there is a single machine connected
directly to a cable modem acting as router, switch, NAT, WLAN-AP and
what not else) and such a setup simply takes some days to be the same

given that this machine was installed in 2011 with F14 (before systemd)
and surivived the systemd/grub2 transition *anything* what now would
require me to reinstall is simply broken proven by the history of the
setup and so hardly can be called a improvement