Plasma - any hope for my laptop?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Oct 6 14:00:02 UTC 2015

Am 06.10.2015 um 15:51 schrieb Ian Malone:
> On 6 October 2015 at 14:47, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> honestly i hear the excuse "we now broke things to develop for the future
>> where all will work" way too long - what we need as users is software *for
>> now* and not for a unknown point in time
>
> This is not unlike the pulseaudio introduction where many drivers had
> bugs that had never been fixed and probably would have never been
> fixed if PA hadn't needed things like sane mixer controls. That was
> fairly painful, but we are now at a much better stage than we were in
> the pre-PA days

users certainly have applauded that he had working sound in the past and
wait for months / years to get it back somehow - and that's why people
should stop rewrite and replace working things until they are not able
to do it proper and learn from the past

it takes more time?
so what!
it can take as long as it takes because people have working setups

and i tell you what happens now: the code developed in a ivory tower get
fixes left and right to make it somehow useable and after that it looks
as ugly as before and KDE6 development will start with the same outcome
as KDE4 and KDE5 - *hopefully* Fedora KDE-SIG when that happens has
learned their lessons and wait as long as it takes instead ruin again
our desktop expierience for the sake of be first

and frankly: KDE is a special topic because we had the same tradegy in
2009 with KDE4, GNOME developers did the same faults instead learning
from the KDE fiasco and even KDE developers did not learn from their own
mistakes

people make mistakes, no question, but if people repeating the same
mistakes again and again it's stupidity