KDE5/Konsole and tab-labels

Adam Batkin adam at batkin.net
Tue Oct 20 01:47:06 UTC 2015

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 8:01 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>> what cool idea to cut the left part when more tabs are open so that you
>> see just the domain and the user but no longer the machine name - don't
>> get me wrong but what cluttered mind developers appearently have to
>> implement such a nonsense
>
> I guess they had one or both of the following use cases in mind:
> * ssh to the same machine as different users (a normal user account, root,
>   etc.),
> * ssh to several machines at different domains with generic (possibly even
>   identical) host names, like shell.example.com, shell.example.org etc.
>
> Of course, in your use case, it's totally counterproductive. :-(

Another possibility is that no one really thought about it before and
that's how the widget truncates text by default.

I would suggest a trip over to the Konsole mailing list and/or send in
a patch. In my (albeit limited) experience, they are pretty receptive.

Personal anecdote: When I highlight text in my konsole, I want it to
go to the clipboard. When I paste (either middle click or
shift+insert) I want to paste from the clipboard. So I submitted a
patch to implement this possibility as a configuration option. I was
pleasantly surprised at how easy the process was (I'm not a C++ guru,
but it didn't take long to figure out exactly what to do). There were
problems with how I implemented some things, but they must have liked
the idea because within maybe a day, one of the maintainers had
rewritten my patch to better conform with what they needed and merged
it. And to this day there is a "Copy on select" and "paste from
clipboard" option in the Profile Settings.

Moral of the story: it never hurts to ask (politely).

-Adam Batkin